Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Love Song Blues

Am I the only one that listens to random love songs, just to hear the beauty of another relationship? A friend turned me onto a great musician, Joe Purdy. I have been listening to his music off and on for a while. I am one of these people who will listen to everything they can find of an artist, and listen to it over and over (yes to other people's disgust) and then just stop listening to it. The result is that I have a soundtrack running through my life and when I pick up an artist again I am catapulted back to the time when I was listening to that music. So today, I picked up Joe again. He is great- not just because I love his acoustic style, and his original lyrics, but because he puts ALL of his CD's on his website to listen to- this always makes me happy. I started listening to his album, "Stompin Grounds" and was, yes, transported back.
Interesting thing about his love songs, they aren't really the love songs of my life. I mean, we all have pitfalls, bad break-ups, those we wish we had followed, those we wish we hadn't. These songs are all so unique, and they do not apply to me right now. Yet, hearing them I am nostalgic. The music is so vivid, I can visualize this man singing to this other random girl or girls, these words- and they are beautiful, sad, humorous and wonderful all at the same time. He wants to know her, and wants to love her. I guess it makes me reminiscent because how many of us actually have love songs that we can relate to? And yet, how great would it be if we were a part of at least one love song, so unique and so beautiful?

"The only thing I know is true, is when I close my eyes at night, the only thing I see is you, and I believe that we can see it through, and I'm praying that you see it too." Now who can't feel empathy for such a desire?

Thanks to Joe Purdy, Stompin Grounds, "This Morning Blue"

1 comment:

Melissa said...

that sounds like one of those songs that you love listening to, even though you cry through most of it. it resonantes with something in us, that knows what it is to love, and longs to be loved, all at the same time. and no, you're not the only person that listens. ;)