Friday, June 8, 2007

Just Standing Around

Well, I am a mom, as most of you know. So you other moms know that this is how your day goes: get coffee, start the dishes, feed a child, diaper or change underwear on a child, put two dishes in the dishwasher, dress a child, bandage a knee, brush a child's teeth, brush my own teeth (at 11am- whoops), feed a child, intervene in an argument, clean up a spilled drink, check homework, soccer practice, oh yeah the dishes... Don't get me started on laundry or housecleaning, or goodness knows, an appointment of some kind. Five o'clock rolls around and I am standing there, finally dressed and showered, looking at dirty laundry but maybe if I am lucky a clean kitchen, and I think to myself, "What did I do today? Have I just been standing around?"
Well as I was walking through this charming life enriching cycle today, I was reminded of something I haven't thought about for a very long time. It is a quote that I have always loved, "Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." Eph. 6:13 I was startled by my memory, because spiritually, I often feel as if I am just standing around. I do not feel well equipped, or particularly enlightened or led. On some days(most of late), I am not even sure God is there at all. I move through my life, and at the end of the day often feel as if I have just run in circles.
So what is the point I am making? I think, I think mind you, that there are a lot of times when doing all you can do is the key. You do your best, you cover all of your bases, and then, you wait. You do not stack the odds in your favor, you do not fret, you do not try and buy another solution. At the end of the day, things will be the way they will be, regardless. All you can do, is stand. There are "evil days" and hard times when it seems as if no matter where you turn, you are stuck. But, even if it seems as if you are running in circles, just standing around, that can be a good thing. At the end of the day, sometimes standing is the hardest and most effective tool for battle in this thing called life.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

don't forget about the dog...he needs some luvin, too. =) i'm glad you're still standing.

Marc said...

I found your blog...I liked this one...A powerful reflection on everyday life...Thanks for casting light on that verse...and for sharing the Spirit's words to your spirit...I'll keep reading...G&P from Sax.